Arts and sciences entries are judged on construction, presentation, difficulty and application to proposed function.
- Passive: Something not intended to go onto the battlefield such as boxes, steel weapons, decorative wooden weapons, stuffed animals, etc. This is a category for constructed items that would not fit into another category.
- Active: Something intended to be used on the battlefield such as ballistae, bows, fighting wands or throwing mugs. This is a generic category for things that would not fit into armor, weapon, or shield construction yet are still intended for rough battlefield use.
- Armor: Something that would qualify as armor by the rulebook standards in Amtgard such as padded armor, chainmail, brigantine, greaves, thigh plates, helmets (although they would not actually count as armor), etc.
- Weapon: Something that would qualify as a weapon by the rulebook standards in Amtgard such as sword, spear, arrows, rocks, throwing daggers, madus, etc.
- Shield: Something that would qualify as a shield by rulebook standards in Amtgard.
- Banner: Something intended to be used as a banner and judged on construction and appearance.
Some kingdoms define "passive" as an item that serves a function other than aesthetics, and "active" as an item that serves a function other than aesthetics and has moving parts which are an inherent part of that function.