Amtgard Food Fight
Since 2011, Amtgard Food Fight has expanded to include the entire month of September.
The Amtgard-Wide Food Fight was held the weekend of September 19-20, 2009. The idea for a Kingdom-wide Food Drive arose during a Dragonspine Circle of Knights meeting. The idea being to have the wide-spread kingdom of Dragonspine take one weekend and use it for a shared goal. Initially organized by Sir GoldCrest, this quickly grew into an Amtgard-wide initiative as Sir Iago and Squire Francis were already planning something between Dragonspine proper and Burning Lands. Their interest and support started the spread into other Kingdoms. Dame Sylvanista of the Celestial Kingdom was the first to use Amtgard Food Fight in her description of the event in her Kingdom’s newsletter. It quickly stuck as the name for the growing effort. Lands continue to join the effort each year and we hope to celebrate 100% participation by the Kingdoms very soon.
The hope is to focus support across multiple lands to show just how much impact we can have when we all work together towards one goal.
Initially organized in Dragonspine it came to encompass representatives and donations from almost every kingdom of Amtgard. Various lands throughout Amtgard held functions with the goal to raise food and money to be donated to food banks in each chapter's locale.
- The Food Fight is in September because it falls in a bit of a dead zone for food banks. They have spent the summer supplying free lunches to children usually supported through free/reduced school meals. They are trying to recover before the holiday rush sets in. People often associate food bank drives with the holidays. Obviously, this puts them a bit behind the power curve. Any support we can do in advance helps them be better prepared for the winter months/holidays.
- http://feedingamerica.org is the name/site for the national Second Harvest program. We ask everyone to look it over for local information on different ways to maximize assistance. The website has plenty of information that will often encourage support.
- Many people don’t realize that Food Banks step up and organize free meals to replace those normally served as free/reduced meals to children during the school year. Also, for every dollar raised, it equates to approximately 13 dollars in buying power through sponsorships and charitable discounts. Every dollar donated equates to about 10 pounds of food for hungry men, women and children.
- Each Kingdom/CoK simply establishes a POC to work with the individual lands to get some things planned/advertised.
- Once the event is completed, Kingdom reps post their results so that final metrics can be collected and announced, this lets everyone see the true impact.
- All proceeds/donations are for the local food bank/pantries.
- The type/running of each event is up to each land hosting it.
- Since its inception we are proud to say that lands participating in Amtgard Food Fight have raised over $44,800 in support of their local food banks and pantries.
- Dollar/Can Food Tournaments
- Can Food Drive/Collections
- Sell sodas/snacks and donate profits (this is particularly good if you have something already planned that weekend)
- Special battlegames
- Dunk tank
Prizes for the Winning Kingdom: Each year, the winning Kingdom will receive a banner featuring their heraldry and recognizing their achievement as the winner of that year's Food Fight. Other prizes may also be included, for example 2010's winner also was the subject of a Song written by Sir Forest.
How is the winner determined?
We would prefer it to not be based solely off of money; however basing it off the buying power seems most appropriate for helping the various organizations succeed/getting the help where it’s needed most. Through various sponsorships and donations the buying power of the organizations is significantly stronger that ours as individuals.
For every dollar ($1) raised, it equates to approx. $13 dollars in buying power through sponsorships and charitable discounts already in place supporting many of the charities we will raise donations for. The tally is based on that buying power. So, each canned food/item is awarded a 10 cent credit.
This year we are also attempting to account for volunteerism. To do so, we have established the following guidelines.
- $$$$ = Actual amount raised
- Food donations = .10 raised/item
- Volunteer time = $5/hour and cap of 250/hours per kingdom AND cannot exceed their total raised in cans+cash (Volunteer time must be spent in direct support of the food charity.)
An item/effort can only count once. Ex. Working to raise money and donations, only the donations count and not the time spent. In keeping with the mission and intent of the Amtgard Food Fight, groups are encouraged to hold activities at the local level/parks and not base their contributions solely on the larger events. While this is often easier (often may prove more profitable) the relationships built in the local community through a grass roots program of local support are often just as vital.
|Burning Lands||Leanda Belbanes/Maeve||$|
|Emerald Hills||Amethyst Panther||$|
|Celestial Kingdom||Julianna Archanna||$|
|Iron Mountains||Vardos Puddingbait||$|
|Dragonspine||Lila von Weiss||$|
|Wetlands||Harold B. Thundervoice||$|
|Crystal Groves||Uni/Sir Shiva||$|
|Tal Dagore||Leeda Li||$|
|Burning Lands||Artemis of Burning Lands||$22,641|
|Emerald Hills||Angelica Kraushaar||$3,766|
|Celestial Kingdom||Renjara End 'OH||$2,582|
|Golden Plains||Kismet Fyrechyld||$2,489|
|Iron Mountains||[Ormar Svensson]||$1,450|
|Golden Vale||Promethea & Stephiroth||$857|
|Northern Lights||Dezmon Mainland||$1,404|
|Celestial Kingdom||Blackwolf Wyngarde||$3,079|
|Iron Mountains||Little Bird||$177|
|Golden Vale||Tokwan Vaunt||$120|
|Dragonspine||Lila von Weiss||$7,146|
|Rising Winds||Lady Jet||$6,529|
|Burning Lands||Artemis and Arminius||$1700|
|Iron Mountains||Cio Cio and Rafeki||$2296|
|Golden Vale||Jace Lanes||$250.85|
2012 banner was made by
|FH of Golden Plains||Arminius||$758|
Food Fight events will be held the entire month of September
- - denotes results posted after the close of the event.
2011 banner was made by
Donated items contribute $0.10 towards the total cash raised.
Food Fight weekend was September 18 - 19, 2010.
More information for 2010 can be found on E-Sam: http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21889
2010 banner was made by
|Burning Lands||Iago / Caliana||$250 + 40 items|
|Emerald Hills||Warlord Sports||$120|
|Celestial Kingdom||Sylvanista||$597 + 150 items|
|Iron Mountains||Hannibal||48 items|
|Dragonspine||Annabellee / Azrael-Jade||$396 + 62 items|
|Crystal Groves||Angela Mastersinger / Lodan||180 items|
|Rising Winds||Thorvald||592 items|
|Total||$1363 + 1654 items|
Food Fight weekend was September 19 -20, 2009.
Due to scheduling conflict, Westmarch held a later event, collecting $241.39 and 237 more items
2009 banner was made by Shelai