Mundane definition from Wikipedia
The Althing is one of the oldest parliamentary institutions in the world. Its establishment, as an outdoor assembly held on the plains of Þingvellir from about the year 930 AD, laid the foundation for an independent national existence in Iceland. To begin with, Althing was a general assembly of the nation, where the country’s most powerful Leaders (goðar) met to decide on legislation and dispense justice. Then, all free men could attend the assemblies, which were usually the main social event of the year and drew large crowds of farmers and their families, parties involved in legal disputes, traders, craftsmen, storytellers and travellers. Those attending the assembly dwelt in temporary camps (búðir) during the session. The center of the gathering was the Lögberg, or Law Rock, a rocky outcrop on which the Lawspeaker (lögsögumaður) took his seat as the presiding official of the assembly. His responsibilities included reciting aloud the laws in effect at the time. It was his duty to proclaim the procedural law of Althing to those attending the assembly each year.
n.The Althing is the legislative process through which Amtgard parks and kingdoms run.
From the Corpora
In most Corpora it is suggested that you hold an Althing no less than once every three months. Most kingdoms hold theirs at their Mid and End Reigns. Most Althings or presided over by the Kingdom Prime Minister. The Monarch has the ability to break any ties in Althing votes. In most kingdoms you must be dues paid to vote in Althings.
Excerpt from the BL corpora
- 3.11 An Althing shall be scheduled once each month. Whether it is actually held is subject to group interest and involvement. (i.e.- if no one has business to bring before the group, then there will be no Althing for that month).
- 3.12 Anyone may attend; only dues paying members (active, or "donating" members) may vote on Burning Land policies.
- 3.13 The Althing may do the following things:
- 3.131 Discuss and enact rule clarifications.
- 3.132 Revise and update the Corpora.
Note: groups lesser than kingdom-level are bound to the corpora of their sponsoring kingdom and must follow its rules of operation as long as doing such does not violate the Agreement with Amtgard Inc, the Rules of Play, or any ratified agreements by the Circle of Monarchs.)
- 3.133 Discuss and vote on major expenditures of the group treasury.
- 3.134 Discuss the future of the Kingdom and its priorities.
- 3.14 Althing rules of order may be set down by the Crown. The Champion is responsible for enforcement.